The genuine reflexology is the application of pressure onto particular areas of the soles of the feet. A reflex action in another part of the body is stimulated by the manipulation of each specific area. Unlike other massages that use thumbs, palms, hands, elbow, knee and foot, foot reflexology massage uses hands, fingers and a wood stick with cream and oil.
According to Chinese medicine, the sensory nerves of the internal organs that spread throughout the body are mainly gathered around the soles of the feet. Therefore, the massage is effective in stimulating the functions of the internal organs. Another advantage of this therapy is that there is no risk. The pain felt there will disappear when the masseur finishes the process.
The Benefits of Foot Reflexology Massage
- It can relieve pain and stiffness caused by too much exercising or using muscle for too long.
- It can help prevent and cure many symptoms such as headache, stress, asthma, constipation, sinusitis and migraine.
- The blood circulation system will be boosted.
- The body’s function will be naturally turned into its homeostasis.
- The massage must be done with accuracy to avoid wrong reflection which will cause muscle infection.
- One should not receive a massage until at least one hour after a meal.
- After receiving a massage, one is required to drink water to eliminate toxin and lactic acids developed during the massage process. Pregnant women, menstruating women and people who are bleeding either internally or externally are not allowed to receive foot reflexology massage.
- Foot reflexology massage can be given every day but the total duration of both feet in a day should not exceed 45 minutes. However, only ten minutes is allowed for patients who used to suffer from heart attack.